找回密码
 注-册-帐-号
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 6429|回复: 2

[分享]Youth

[复制链接]
发表于 2003-8-31 05:18:02 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
写在前面:记得n年前就在CrazyEnglish中拜读了Samuel Ullman的这篇散文,今日在网上邂逅此文,如遇旧友。这儿多是二十出头的年轻人,但我们是否真正拥有Youth?还是在学习工作生活压力中老去?也想知道大家对Youth的看法

Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, a quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life.

Youth means a tempera-mental predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease. This often exists in a man of 60 more than a boy of 20. Nobody grows old merely by a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals.

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. Worry, fear, self-distrust bows the heart and turns the spring back to dust.

Whether 60 or 16, there is in every human being’s heart the lure of wonder, the unfailing childlike appetite of what’s next and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station: so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the Infinite, so long are you young.

When the aerials are down, and your spirit is covered with snows of cynicism and the ice of pessimism, then you are grown old, even at 20, but as long as your aerials are up, to catch waves of optimism, there is hope you may die young at 80.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-31 05:20:24 | 显示全部楼层
More about "Youth"

Youth is happy because it has the ability to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.
Franz Kafka

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
Josh Billings

Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life.
Samuel Ullman

Youth is not a time of life, it is a state of mind. You are as old as your doubt, your fear, your despair. The way to keep young is to keep your faith young. Keep your self-confidence young. Keep your hope young.
Luella F. Phean

Young people need models, not critics...
John Wooden

You are only young once, and if you work it right, once is enough.
Joe E. Lewis

It is not possible for civilization to flow backwards while there is youth in the world. Youth may be headstrong, but it will advance it allotted length.
Helen Keller

Youth is the best time to be rich, and the best time to be poor.
Euripides

Young men are apt to think themselves wise enough, as drunken men are apt to think themselves sober enough.
Lord Chesterfield

All lovely things will have an ending, All lovely things will fade and die; And youth, that's now so bravely spending, Will beg a penny by and by.
Conrad Aiken

No man knows he is young while he is young.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

"A beautiful lady is an accident of nature. A beautiful old lady is a work of art."
Louis Nizer

"In youth we run into difficulties. In old age difficulties run into us."
Josh Billings

"The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life. And the body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy."
Oscar Wilde

"The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."
Lucille Ball

"All say, How hard it is that we have to die - a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live."
Mark Twain

"Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools.
George Chapman

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been."
Mark Twain

"No one can avoid aging, but aging productively is something else."
Katharine Graham

"Adolescence is a kind of emotional seasickness. Both are funny, but only in retrospect."
Arthur Koestler

"There is no cure for birth and death, save to enjoy the interval."
George Santayana

"Forty is the old age of youth; fifty, the youth of old age."
Victor Hugo

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."
Mark Twain

"Middle age: when you're sitting at home on Saturday night and the telephone rings and you hope it isn't for you."
Odgen Nash

"To me, old age is fifteen years older than I am."
Bernard M. Baruch

"At 20 years of age the will reigns; at 30 the wit; at 40 the judgement."
Benjamin Franklin

"To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent - that is to triumph over old age."
Thomas Bailey Aldrich

"Age, if nothing else, entitles me to set the record straight before I dissolve. I've given my memoirs far more thought than any of my marriages. You can't divorce a book."
Gloria Swanson

"A woman's always younger than a man of equal years."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh

"I promise to keep on living as though I expected to live forever. Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul."
Douglas MacArthur

"First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to pull your zipper up, and then you forget to pull your zipper down."
Leo Rosenberg

发表于 2003-8-31 07:13:23 | 显示全部楼层
好文共享,希望大家多发,以后可以做个美文检索的置顶帖
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注-册-帐-号

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|数学建模网 ( 湘ICP备11011602号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-4 21:22 , Processed in 0.049698 second(s), 18 queries .