找回密码
 注-册-帐-号
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
楼主: yuemuping

band of brothers小说[分享]

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:15:30 | 显示全部楼层
the company dug in. neither side was making infantry assaults south of carentan, but the incoming and outgoing mail was tremendous, since both sides were receiving reinforcements in artillery and heavy weapons, the americans from the beach and the germans from the french interior.
in their foxholes, the men of easy stayed underground, ready to repel any ground attack, but otherwise remaining out of sight during daylight hours. lieutenant nixon, battalion intelligence officer (s-2), wanted to know the strength of the german infantry opposite easy's position. winters came down the line, asking for a volunteer to take out a high noon patrol. no one responded. he told guarnere that he was nominated to lead the patrol. guarnere got a briefing from nixon, who gave him a map showing all the hedgerows and a cluster of farm buildings that seemed to be a german command post, almost a kilometer away.
guarnere, privates blithe and joseph lesniewski of erie, pennsylvania, and two others set out. using the hedgerows for concealment, they moved forward. blithe was at the point. he reached the last hedgerow leading to the farm buildings. a german sniper put a bullet into his neck.
"get the hell out of here," guarnere shouted. as the patrol fell back, german machine pistols opened up. when the patrol got back to easy's lines, the company's machine-guns answered the fire.
later, malarkey led another patrol in another attempt to get information on the enemy. on this patrol private sheehy, at the point, moved up next to a hedgerow. malarkey joined him there, but as he moved forward he stepped on a tree limb, breaking it. immediately a german helmet raised up right across the hedgerow. sheehy got him full in the face with a blast from his tommy-gun.
seeing more germans, malarkey pulled the patrol back at a full run. rob bain, carrying a 300 radio, had trouble keeping up. after they had gotten back safely, bain's comment was, "apparently patrols are quite necessary, but it appears to me to be a good way to get your tail shot off."
the next day was relatively quiet. fat norman cattle were grazing in the field behind the company's position. pvt. woodrow rob-bins, 1st squad machine-gunner, was dug in about 15 feet from christenson's foxhole.
"hey, chris," he called out, "let's get some of that meat in the field!" christenson did not want to leave his foxhole, but bill howell joined robbins as he crawled up to a cow and shot her. they butchered the animal, then returned with a hind quarter. robbins cut up steaks for the whole squad. they fried the meat over open fires in their foxholes. that night, robbins and howell tied the remainder of the carcass to a tree to the rear.
they covered it with a poncho,- the squad figured to be eating beef rather than k rations for a few days. what they had not figured on was all the shrapnel flying around from the incessant artillery barrages. it perforated the meat. at the next feast, the men of the squad were continually cutting their gums on shrapnel.
june 23. a sniper fired at christenson, from 600 meters. chris ducked behind a hedgerow and shouted to robbins to spray the area from which the bullet came. robbins fired fifty rounds at the distant trees. "i could hear a nervous grumbling from the men down the line," christenson remembered. "tension always grew when out of complete silence a machine-gun fires that many rounds." in the far distance, the sound of mortars belched, waump, waump, waump, waump. "this nerve-racking sound confirmed that four mortar bombs were heading in our direction. the suspense of waiting is eerie. indescribable. miserable. then 'boom,' the first one exploded not more than 7 feet in front of robbins' and howell's gun."
howell jumped out of his position and ran to christenson's foxhole, as the second mortar round exploded almost on top of the first, "so close that you could taste the pungent gun powder." howell leaped into christenson's foxhole. "i was all bent over and unable to move," chris said, "because of my doubled up, cramped position. it was difficult to breathe, yet i was laughing hysterically for howell's eyes were as big as tea cups. he was muttering things like, 'christ-sake, oh my god,' at each shell burst. the pressure this big man was putting on me suddenly threw me into a state of panic, for i was suffocating." fortunately the shelling stopped.
after two weeks on the main line of resistance (mlr), the men of easy stank. they had not had a bath or shower or an opportunity to shave. many had dysentery,- all were continually drenched with sweat. their hair was matted from dirt and dust made worse by the profuse sweating caused by wearing their helmets constantly, and by the impregnated clothes they had been wearing since june 6. they looked like bill mauldin's willy and joe characters.
on june 29, the 83rd infantry division came up to relieve the 101st. "they were so clean looking," christenson remembered, "with a full complement of men in each unit. even the paint on their helmets looked as if they had just been unpacked. the impact of seeing such a disheveled motley group as we were was a shock to them."
for easy, to get off the front line, even if it was only for a few days, was a deliverance. the thought of an uninterrupted full night's sleep, not being harassed by gun fire or being sent out on patrol, to get something hot to eat, to sleep dry, and most of all to get a shower, was good beyond deion.
easy had jumped into normandy on june 6 with 139 officers and men. easy was pulled out of the line on june 29 with 74 officers and men present for duty. (the 506th had taken the heaviest casualties of any regiment in the campaign, a total of 983, or about 50 percent). the easy men killed in action were lts. thomas meehan and robert mathews, sgts. william evans, elmer murray, murray robert, richard owen, and carl riggs, cpls. jerry wentzel, ralph wimer, and hermin collins, pvts. sergio moya, john miller, gerald snider, william mcgonigal, ernest oats, elmer telstad, george elliott, and thomas warren.
for the 101st, carentan was the last action of the normandy campaign. the division was gradually pulled back to a field camp north of utah beach, complete with radio, telephone, bulletin board, policing the area, keeping weapons clean, parade ground formations, and a training schedule. to compensate, there were hot showers and nearly unlimited opportunities for scrounging.
pvt. alton more was the master scrounger in easy company. he found a way to get into the main supply depot near utah. on his first foray, he returned carrying two cardboard boxes, one of fruit cocktail and the other of pineapple. "it tasted like the best thing you ever ate in your life," harry welsh remembered, "and i was never so sick in my life. we weren't used to that food." thereafter, more brought in a more varied diet from his daily expeditions.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:15:45 | 显示全部楼层
general taylor stopped by, to congratulate the company on its lonely stand on the far right flank at carentan. the men wanted to know what about his "give me three days and nights of hard fighting and i'll have you out of here" pre-d-day promise.
gen. omar bradley appeared for an awards ceremony. standing on a little platform in the field, he read out the citations for the distinguished service cross for eleven men, including general taylor, chaplain maloney, and lieutenant winters. "that was a proud moment," winters said. he recalled that after the ceremony, bradley had the troops break formation and gather round him. "are there any reporters here, any correspondents?" he asked. "if there are, i don't want this recorded.
"what i want to say," he went on, "is that things are going very well, and there is a possibility at this point, as i see it, that we could be in berlin by christmas."
winters thought to himself, god, i can make it till christmas. just let me go home for christmas.
on july 1, winters received news of his promotion to captain. on july 10, the company moved down to utah beach, to prepare to embark for england. "seeing the beach for the first time," winters recalled, "with that armada of ships as far as the eye could see in every direction, and seeing the american flag on the beach, left me feeling weak in the knees for a few moments and brought tears to my eyes."
private more pulled one last raid on that vast supply dump. he broke into the main motor pool and stole a motorcycle, complete with sidecar. he hid it behind a sand dune, then asked captain winters if he could put it on the lst and take it back to england. "up to you," winters replied.
the next day, as the company marched up the ramp of the gigantic lst, more moved the motorcycle up the inland side of the forward dune. he had arranged with malarkey for a hand signal when everyone was aboard and it was time to go. malarkey tipped off the navy personnel. at the proper moment, standing on the ramp, malarkey gave the signal and more came roaring over the dune and up the ramp.
on the lst, the skipper said to welsh, "lieutenant, what would your men like to have: chicken or steak? ice cream? eggs?" sailing in convoy, the lst got back to southampton the night of july 12. the next morning, a train took the men (except more and malarkey, who rode their motorcycle) to aldbourne. "it was wonderful to be back," winters remembered. "every was glad to see us. it was just like home."
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:16:06 | 显示全部楼层
7 healing wounds and scrubbed missions
* aldbourne
july 13-septemberl6,1944
"it's the only time i ever saw the army do anything right," gordon carson said. "they put us on those lsts, brought us into southampton, took us back to aldbourne, gave us two sets of complete, all-new uniforms, all our back pay, $150 or more, and a seven-day pass, and by 7, 8 in the morning we're on our way to london."
the men of easy have little memory of that week in london. the american paratroopers were the first soldiers to return to england from normandy; the papers had been full of their exploits; everyone in town wanted to buy them a meal or a beer— for the first day or so. but the young heroes overdid it. they drank too much, they broke too many windows and chairs, they got into too many fights with nonparatroopers. it was one of the wildest weeks in london's history. one newspaper compared the damage done to the blitz. a joke went around: the mps in london were going to receive a presidential citation for duty above and beyond during the week the 101st was in town.
not everyone went to london. harry welsh traveled to ireland, to see relatives. winters stayed in aldbourne to rest, reflect, and write letters to the parents of men killed or wounded. gordon and lipton, after recovery from their wounds, went to scotland to see the sights.
in the hospital after his evacuation from normandy, gordon had been given skin grafts, then had his leg enclosed in a cast that ran from hip to toe. he was the only combat wounded man in his ward; the others were ill or had been hurt in accidents in england. he was therefore "an object of great respect. they were in awe of me." three times officers came in to pin a purple heart on his pillow. "i would lower my eyes modestly and murmur thanks to the small group who had gathered to see the hero." then he would hide the medal and wait for the next one.
after eight weeks in the hospital, he returned to e company. (it was airborne policy to return recovered men to their original company; in the infantry, when wounded became fit for duty, they went wherever they were needed. the former was, in the opinion of every paratrooper, one of the wisest things the airborne did; the latter policy was, in everyone's opinion, one of the dumbest things the army did.)
sergeant talbert got back to easy at the same time gordon did. as his wound had been inflicted by private smith's bayonet, rather than by a german, he was disqualified from receiving the purple heart. gordon told him not to worry, he could fix him up with one of his extra ribbons. the 3rd platoon got together and conducted an appropriate ceremony for talbert. gordon and rogers had written a poem to immortalize talbert, smith, "and the bayonet that came between them." the title was "the night of the bayonet"; fortunately for posterity, the poem has not survived (or at least the authors refused to give it to me for this book). the indignant talbert declared, "i could have shot the little bastard six times as he lunged toward me, but i didn't think we could spare a man at the time."
some of the wounded were worried about permanent disability. malarkey found this out when he and don moone were sitting in the mess hall as lipton passed by. "hi, crip," malarkey called out. lipton turned and grabbed the two men by their throats, lifted them from their chairs, and declared that he would take them on one at a time or together. they went pale and said they didn't mean anything by the crack. later lipton returned, red faced, and said he was sorry to lose his temper, but he feared that the wound to his hand had inflicted permanent damage that would prevent him from playing college football.
underlying the release of tension in london, or gordon's feeble attempts at some humor, was the reality these men had faced and their apprehension about what they would be facing.
sergeant martin looked around the 1st platoon barracks the first night back from normandy, and half the men who had been there from september 1943 to may 1944 were gone. he said to guarnere, "jesus, bill, here we've got a half a hut full of guys, and we aren't even started in the war yet. we don't have a chinaman's chance of ever getting out of this thing."
"if we lost half the barracks in one goddamn little maneuver in normandy," guarnere replied, "forget it, we'll never get home."
they took their leave in scotland, where they got tattoos, figuring what the hell, "losing that many men in one little deal like that and the whole war ahead of us, why not?"
pvt. david kenyon webster had jumped with 2nd battalion's hq company on d-day, been wounded a few days later, evacuated to england, and returned to aldbourne before the battalion returned. he hid in the shadows of the red cross hut as "the thin, tired column of survivors marched into the area," hoping that no one would look him in the face and ask, "where the hell were you, webster, when the krauts made the big counterattack the other side of carentan and f company gave ground and e company's flank was exposed?"
his embarrassment aside, webster was overjoyed to see his friends return. "you know every in the battalion by sight," he wrote, "if not by name, and you feel like part of a big family. you are closer to these men than you will ever be to any civilians."
he applied for a transfer back to e company, because with hq company he had been an ammunition carrier most of the time, had fired his machine-gun only once in normandy, and "i craved action. i wanted to get the war over with; i wanted to fight as a rifleman in a line company." he became a member of 1st platoon.
webster's attitude was, as he wrote his parents, "i am living on borrowed time. i do not think i shall live through the next jump. if i don't come back, try not to take it too hard. i wish i could persuade you to regard death as casually as we do over here. in the heat of battle you expect casualties, you expect some to be killed and you are not surprised when a friend is machinegunned in the face. you have to keep going. it's not like civilian life, where sudden death is so unexpected."
when his mother wrote to express her considerable alarm at this attitude (and her worries about his younger brother, who had just joined the paratroopers), webster was blunt in his reply: "would you prefer for some else's son to die in the mud? you want us to win the war, but you apparently don't want to have your sons involved in the actual bloodshed. that's a strangely contradictory attitude.
"some has to get in and kill the enemy. some has to be in the infantry and the paratroops. if the country all had your attitude, no would fight, every would be in the quartermaster. and what kind of a country would that be?"
lipton felt that "when men are in combat, the inevitability of it takes over. they are there, there is nothing they can do to change that, so they accept it. they immediately become callused to the smell of death, the bodies, the destruction, the killing, the danger. enemy bodies and wounded don't affect them. their own wounded and the bodies of their dead friends make only a brief impression, and in that impression is a fleeting feeling of triumph or accomplishment that it was not them. [thank god it was him and not me is a feeling common to many combat soldiers when their comrades fall; later it can produce guilt feelings.] there is still work to be done, a war to be won, and they think about that."
once out of the line, back in a rest camp, lipton goes on, "they begin to think. they remember how their friends were wounded or killed. they remember times when they were inches or seconds from their own death. far from combat, death and destruction are no longer inevitable—the war might end, the missions might be cancelled. with these thoughts men become nervous about going back in. as soon as they are back in, however, those doubts and that nervousness are gone. the callousness, the cold-bloodedness, the calmness return. once more there's a job to be done, the old confidence comes back, the thrill of combat returns, and the drive to excel and win takes over again."
if that sounds idealized, it can't be helped; that is the way lipton and many others in easy, and many others in the airborne and throughout the american army—and come to that, in the german and red armies too—fought the war. but by no means does lipton's analysis apply to all soldiers. millions of men fought in world war ii. no one man can speak for all of them. still, lipton's insights into the emotional state of the combat soldier provide guidance into attempting to understand how men put up with combat.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:16:27 | 显示全部楼层
coming out of normandy, many of the men of easy were fighting mad at the germans and absolutely convinced the allies would win the war. "i hope to go back soon," webster told his parents, "for i owe the germans several bullets and as many hand grenades as i can throw." the germans had cut the throats of paratroops caught in their harnesses, bayoneted them, stripped them, shot them, wiped out an aid station. because of these atrocities, "we do not intend to show them mercy." as to the outcome, "after seeing that beachhead, a breathtaking panorama of military might, i know we cannot lose. as for the paratroopers, they are out for blood. i hope to be back in on the kill."
promotions were made. welsh and compton moved up from 2nd to 1st lieutenant. regiment needed new junior officers, to replace casualties; winters recommended sgt. james diel, who had acted as company 1st sergeant in normandy, for a battlefield commission. colonel sink approved, so diel became a 2nd lieutenant and was assigned to another company in the 506th. winters moved lipton up to replace him as company 1st sergeant. leo boyle became staff sergeant at company hq. bill guarnere became a staff sergeant. don malarkey, warren muck, paul rogers, and mike ranney jumped from private to sergeant (ranney had been a sergeant but was busted to pfc. during the sobel mutiny). pat christenson, walter gordon, john plesha, and lavon reese were promoted from private to corporal.
webster was an aspiring novelist, an avid reader of the best in english literature, a harvard man, a combat veteran who praised and damned the army on the basis of personal observation and keen insight. his long letters home provide snapshots of some of the men of easy company, following its first combat experience. pvt. roy cobb, who had been hit on harry welsh's plane over normandy and thus did not make the jump, "was an old soldier with some nine years to his credit. he managed to keep one long, easy jump ahead of the army. his varied and colorful wartime career had thus far included: 1. an assault landing in africa with the 1st armored division, 2. a siege of yellow jaundice and an evacuation to america on a destroyer after his troopship had been torpedoed, 3. several months' training at the parachute school, 4. a timely leg wound from flak over normandy. tall, lean, thirsty, and invariably good-natured."
the first squad of the 1st platoon was "headed by little johnny martin, an excellent soldier, a premier goldbrick, and a very fast thinker who could handle any combat or garrison problem that arose, always had the equipment, the food, and the good living quarters."
the second squad leader was "bull" randleman, who was constantly bitching but who could "be very g.i., as i once discovered when he turned me in to the first sergeant for laughing at him when he told me to take off my wool-knit hat in the mess hall. bull was considered a very acceptable noncom by the officers, who frowned on sergeant martin's flip attitude."
webster's squad leader was sgt. robert rader. "i don't think rader ever goldbricked in his life; he was the ideal garrison soldier, the type that knows all the commands for close-order drill and takes pride in a snappy manual of arms, that is impatient with men who ride the sick book and slip away from night problems."
the assistant squad leaders, cpls. william dukeman, pat christenson, and don hoobler, "generally let the buck sergeants do the work. dukeman had a way of beating night problems and skipping off to london every weekend that was truly marvelous to behold." christenson was randleman's assistant, which webster considered a "snap job" because randleman, like rader, was very conscientious. christenson was "of medium height and athletic build, with curly golden hair, e company's only glamour boy. hoobler was his opposite in every way. hoobler was the only person i met who actually enjoyed fighting; he got a kick out of war. a happy-go-lucky, gold-toothed boy, he volunteered for all the patrols in combat and all the soft jobs in garrison. he was one of the best and most popular soldiers in the company." in webster's opinion (and he had been around a lot as a member of hq company), the members of 1st platoon, e company, were "younger, more intelligent than those in other companies." for the first time in the army, and to his delight, he found men who talked about going to college after the war, including corporal dukeman and sergeants muck, carson, and malarkey.
all these men were what webster called "new-army non-coms." their average age was twenty-one. they did not know the articles of war backward and forward, they didn't care about "the book that ruled the lives of so many regular-army men." they mingled with their men, they had not served in panama or hawaii or the philippines. "they were civilian soldiers. they were the ones who saved america."
webster was also impressed by some of the officers. he described winters as "a sizable, very athletic individual who believed in calisthenics in garrison and aggressiveness in combat." welsh was now winters' executive officer; webster described him as "small, dark, lazy, quick-thinking, the only officer in the 2nd battalion who could give an interesting and informative current events' lecture." he thought lieutenant compton, leader of the 2nd platoon, a friendly and genial man who was everyone's favorite. he had convinced the college-bound group that ucla was the only place to go for an education.
first platoon was led by lt. thomas peacock, a replacement officer. webster wrote that "he always obeyed an order without question, argument, or thought." webster felt that peacock "was highly esteemed by his superior officers and cordially disliked by his men. he was too g.i." once the platoon came back to aldbourne from a ten-hour cross-country march; peacock made the men play a baseball game, because that was what was on the schedule. "peacock believed in the book; he was in his element in normandy as battalion supply officer, but as a platoon leader his men hated even to look at him."
peacock's assistant was lt. bob brewer. very young, a superb athlete, webster described him as "overgrown, boyish."
in the summer of 1944, easy company had excellent billets. the officers were in a lovely brick house near the village green; in back there were stables, which the men cleaned out and used. the stables consisted of a series of box stalls in each of which four men lived in comfort and a dark, welcome privacy. there they could hide,- so many did so when night training exercises resumed that winters was forced to make a habit of checking the individual stalls to be certain no one was hiding behind the bunks or standing in the clothes hanging from the hooks. beyond cover and concealment, each stall had a stove, a large, thick, soundproof door, and a high, airy ceiling. there was sufficient room to hang uniforms and barracks bags and still play poker or craps.
for entertainment, the men listened to armed forces network (afn) radio. it was on from 0700 to 2300 with an occasional rebroadcast of a bob hope show, bbc news every hour, and swing music. the men much preferred it to bbc broadcasts, even though they had to endure shaef exhortations to keep clean, salute more often, or refrain from fighting. ("remember, men, if you're looking for a fight, wait till you meet the germans!"
when they didn't like the tune being played on afn, they could turn to german radio and listen to axis sally and lord haw haw. these propagandists played popular tunes, intermixed with messages that were so crudely done they always brought a laugh.
in addition to the radio, there were movies twice a week, usually cowboy thrillers, seldom a recent release. occasionally a united services organization (uso) show came to the area, but generally the big stars stuck to london.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:16:52 | 显示全部楼层
glenn miller was an exception. for malarkey, "the big thrill of the summer" came on july 25, when he was one of six men in the company to get a ticket to a concert given by miller and his army air force band in newbury. forty-seven years later, malarkey could remember the program; miller started with "moonlight serenade" "the most thought provoking theme song ever written," according to malarkey), followed by "in the mood."
on weekends, when they were not in a marshaling area or on an alert, the men got passes. malarkey and more would jump on their motorcycle and head for the south coast—brighton, bournemouth, or southampton—for swimming and sun bathing. upon returning from one such excursion, they got a message from captain sobel. he wanted malarkey and more to know that he knew they had the motorcycle and that it was stolen, but he was not going to do anything about it, except that he intended to confiscate it when the company next went into combat. malarkey figured that sobel's relatively reasonable attitude was a result of his unwillingness to confront captain winters.
what was not so pleasant as the billets or the radio or the weekends was the training. "i got the impression we were being punished for going to normandy," webster wrote. there was a dreary list of parades, inspections, field problems, night problems, and trips to the firing range.
winters had smuggled some live ammunition back to aldbourne from normandy. he used it to give the replacements the feel of advancing in an attack under covering fire. there was a risk involved, obviously to the men on maneuvers, but also to winters himself, as it was unauthorized, and if anyone had been wounded, it would have been his fault. but he felt the risk was worthwhile, because he had learned on june 6 at brecourt manor that the key to a successful attack was to lay down a good, steady base of fire and then advance right under it. done correctly, the job got accomplished with few casualties.
the training exercises were necessary in order to give the replacements in the company (nearly half the company was made up of recruits by this time, just over from the states after completing jump school), the feel of live fire, and to integrate them into the company. but, necessary or not, they were hated. still, compared to the 1943 experience in aldbourne, the summer of 1944 was a joy. malarkey explained: "we were no longer subject to the discipline and vindictiveness of herbert sobel and sergeant evans. with dick winters fairness and compassion replaced the unreasonableness of his predecessor. the esprit de corps in the company increased tremendously."
it helped morale that, however rigorous the training program, easy was spending the summer in aldbourne rather than normandy. "i thank god and general eisenhower that we returned to england," webster wrote his parents, "whenever i think of the pacific boys, living in jungles and on barren coral reefs, and of the infantry in france, grinding forward without music or entertainment of any kind until they are killed or wounded." all the men in aldbourne were keenly aware that the 4th infantry division, their partners on d-day, was still on the line, taking casualties, sleeping in foxholes, eating k rations, never bathing. rumors were constant. on august 10, eisenhower himself inspected the division, which convinced everyone that the next combat jump was coming immediately, a conviction reinforced on august 12 when brand-new equipment was handed around.
some were sure it was off for the south pacific, others thought india, others berlin. those rumors were ridiculous, of course, but what fed them was the fact that the division made plans for sixteen operations that summer, each one of which was canceled. the problem was that through to the end of july, the front line in normandy was nearly static; then bradley's first army broke out at st. lo, patton's third army went over to normandy, and the american ground forces overran proposed drop zones before the paratroopers could complete their plans and make the jump.
on august 17, easy was alerted and briefed for a drop near chartres, to set up roadblocks to cut off supplies and reinforcements for the germans in normandy, and to block their escape route. the company, along with the rest of the battalion, took buses to the marshaling area, at membury airdrome, outside aldbourne. they were fed steak and eggs, fried chicken, white bread, milk, ice cream. they checked their weapons and equipment, went over their briefing, discussed their objective.
the recruits were excited, tense, eager, nervous. the veterans were worried. "i hate to think of going again," webster wrote in his diary. what worried him most of all was the thought of being killed in his chute as he came down, swinging helplessly in the air, or getting caught in a tree or on a telephone pole and being bayoneted or shot before he could free himself. he had acquired a .45 automatic pistol, but it was no match for a distant machine-gun. he felt that if he could live through the jump, he could take the rest as it came.
talking to the subdued veterans around him at the airdrome, he noticed that "the boys aren't as enthusiastic or anxious to get it over with as they were before normandy. no wants to fight anymore."
some hope was expressed that with patton racing across france, the allies on the offensive in italy, the red army moving forward relentlessly on the eastern front, and the wehrmacht high command in turmoil after the july 20 attempt on hitler's life, germany might collapse any day. most of the men would have welcomed such a development, but not webster, who wrote his parents:
"i cannot understand why you hope for a quick end of the war. unless we take the horror of battle to germany itself, unless we fight in their villages, blowing up their houses, smashing open their wine cellars, killing some of their livestock for food, unless we litter their streets with horribly rotten german corpses as was done in france, the germans will prepare for war, unmindful of its horrors. defeat must be brought into germany itself before this mess can come to a proper end; a quick victory now, a sudden collapse, will leave the countryside relatively intact and the people thirsty for revenge. i want the war to end as quickly as any wishes, but i don't want the nucleus of another war left whole."
august 19 was d-day for chartres. it was scheduled to be a daylight drop. all around membury that morning, men were getting up at first light, after a more-or-less sleepless night spent mainly sweating on their cots, imagining all sorts of possibilities. they dressed silently. they were detached and gloomy. no one was cutting mohawk haircuts. there were no shouts of "look out, hitler! here we come!" it was more a case of "momma, if you ever prayed for me, pray for me now."
joyous news over the radio! patton's third army tanks had just taken the dz at chartres! the jump was canceled! the men shouted. they jumped up and down. they laughed. they blessed george patton and his tankers. they cheered and danced. that afternoon, they returned to aldbourne.
on sunday morning, august 28, the 506th held a memorial service for the men killed in normandy. when it was announced that the men would have to give up their sunday morning, there was terrific moaning and groaning; as one trooper put it, he would honor the dead on saturday morning or all day monday, but he'd be damned if he'd honor the dead on his own time. but that was just talk, a soldier exercising his inalienable right to grouse. he put on his class a uniform and went along with the rest.
easy company was taken by buses to regimental hq on the estate of lord wills at littlecote, outside chilton foliat, where it joined the other companies on a soft green field. a band played the dead march in such a slow cadence that everyone got out of step, but once the regiment was in place, the 2,000 young american warriors spread like a solid brown carpet on the lawn, the grand castle before them, it made an inspiring sight.
chaplain mcgee gave a talk, saying the dead really were heroic, america really was worth dying for, those who died did not die in vain, and so on. the men were more impressed by the regimental prayer, written by lt. james morton and read by the chaplain:
"almighty god, we kneel to thee and ask to be the instrument of thy fury in smiting the evil forces that have visited death, misery, and debasement on the people of the earth. ... be with us, god, when we leap from our planes into the dark abyss and descend in parachutes into the midst of enemy fire. give us iron will and stark courage as we spring from the harnesses of our parachutes to seize arms for battle. the legions of evil are many, father; grace our arms to meet and defeat them in thy name and in the name of the freedom and dignity of man. . . . let our enemies who have lived by the sword turn from their violence lest they perish by the sword. help us to serve thee gallantly and to be humble in victory."
general taylor came next, but his speech was drowned out by a formation of c-47s passing overhead. then the roster of the dead and missing was read out. it seemed to drone on endlessly— there were 414—and each name brought a sharp intake of breath from the surviving members of the soldier's squad, platoon, company. each time he heard the name of a man he knew, webster thought of "his family sitting quietly in a home that will never be full again." the reading ceased abruptly with a private whose name began with z. the regiment marched off the field to the tune of "onward christian soldiers."
the 101st airborne division was now a part of the first allied airborne army, which included the u.s. 17th, 82nd, and 101st airborne (together the u.s. units constituted the xviii airborne corps), the polish 1st parachute brigade, and the british 1st and 6th airborne divisions plus the 52nd lowlanders (air-transported). gen. matthew ridgway commanded the xviii corps; gen. lewis brereton commanded the airborne army. general taylor remained in command of the 101st; gen. james gavin commanded the 82nd.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:17:20 | 显示全部楼层
all these generals, and their senior subordinates, were itching to get the airborne army into action, but every time they made a plan, briefed the men, transported them to their marshaling areas, and prepared to load up, the ground troops overran the dz and the mission was canceled.
it happened again at the end of august. on the thirtieth, at midnight, taylor ordered company formations. the men were told to pack their bags for an 0800 departure for membury. at the airdrome, along with all the other activity, a money exchange took place; english pounds for belgian francs. thus the men knew the objective even before the briefing (finance officers told those who did not have a pound note, "tough").
the dz was to be near tournai, belgium, just across the border from the french city of lille. the aim was to open a path for the british second army in its drive across the escaut canal and into belgium. two days of intense briefings, hectic preparations, and marvelous food followed. but on september 1 the guards armored division of the british second army captured tournai, and the operation was canceled. there was the same relief as when the chartres drop was canceled, but the determination of the high command to get the paratroopers into the action was so obvious to the men that even as they rode the bus back to aldbourne, they acknowledged to each other that one of these times they would not be coming back from the airport.
the allied armies continued to roll through france and belgium. the airborne army's high command grew ever more desperate to get into the battle. it had the best troops in eto, the best commanders, the highest morale, unmatched mobility, outstanding equipment. officers and men were proved veterans who wanted another chance to show what paratroopers could do in modern war. the airborne army was by far eisenhower's greatest unused asset. he wanted to keep the momentum of the advance going, he wanted to seize the moment to deliver a decisive blow before the germans could recover from their six-week-long retreat through france. when montgomery proposed to utilize the airborne army in a complex, daring, and dangerous but potentially decisive operation to get across the lower rhine river, eisenhower quickly agreed, to the immense delight of the airborne army command.
code name was market-garden. the objective was to get british second army, with the guards armored division in the van, through holland and across the rhine on a line eindhoven-son-veghel-grave-nijmegen-arnhem. the british tanks would move north along a single road, following a carpet laid down by the american and british paratroopers, who would seize and hold the many bridges between the start line and arnhem.
the british 1st airborne division, reinforced by the poles, would be at the far end of the proposed line of advance, at arnhem. the 82nd airborne would take and hold nijmegen. the 101st's task was to land north of eindhoven, with the objective of capturing that town while simultaneously moving through son toward veghel and grave, to open the southern end of the line of advance. the task of the 2nd battalion of the 506th pir was to take the bridge over the wilhelmina canal at son intact, then join the 3rd battalion in attacking eindhoven, where it would hold the city and its bridges until the guards armored division passed through.
it was a complicated but brilliant plan. success would depend on execution of almost split-second timing, achieving surprise, hard fighting, and luck. if everything worked, the payoff would be british armored forces on the north german plain, on the far side of the rhine, with an open road to berlin. if the operation failed, the cost would be the squandering of the asset of the airborne army, failure to open the port of antwerp (eisenhower had to agree to put off the commitment of troops needed to open that port in order to mount market-garden), a consequent supply crisis throughout eto, and a dragging out of the war through the winter of 1944-45.
in addition to putting off the opening of antwerp, eisenhower had to stop patton east of paris to get sufficient fuel for the british second army to mount market-garden. in short, the operation was a roll of the dice, with the allies putting all their chips into the bet.
on september 14, easy took the buses back to the membury marshaling area. on the fifteenth, the company got its briefing. it was reassuring. the men were told this was to be the largest airborne landing in history, three divisions strong. it would be a daylight landing. unlike normandy, it would come as a surprise to the germans. flak would be light, the initial ground opposition almost nonexistent.
in the marshaling area, waiting to go, there was a great deal of gambling. one of the recruits, pvt. cecil pace, was a fanatic gambler. to the chagrin of the veterans, he won $1,000 at craps.
colonel sink gave the regiment a pep talk. "you'll see the british tanks," he said, "some of them shermans and the others cromwells. don't mistake the cromwells for german tanks.
"and those guards divisions—they're good outfits. best in the british army. you can't get in 'em unless you've got a 'sir' in front of your name and a pedigree a yard long. but don't laugh at 'em. they're good fighters.
"another thing," he went on, rubbing his face. "i don't want to see any of you running around in holland in wool-knit caps. general taylor caught a 506th man wearing one of those hats in normandy and gave me hell for it. now, i don't want to catch hell, see, and i know you don't, so if you've got to wear a wool-knit cap, keep it under your helmet. and don't let general taylor catch you with that helmet off.
"i know you men can do all right, so i don't have to talk about fighting. this is a good enough outfit to win a presidential citation in normandy. now, you old men look after the replacements, and we'll all get along fine."
webster recorded that it was always a pleasure to listen to sink, because he had a sensible, realistic, humorous approach to combat. general taylor was his opposite,- in webster's opinion taylor had a "repellently optimistic, cheerleading attitude. colonel sink knew the men hated to fight. up to the end of the war, general taylor persisted in thinking that his boys were anxious to kill germans. we preferred colonel sink."
on september 16 private strohl, who had been in the hospital since june 13, got a one-day pass from the doctors. he hitched a ride to aldbourne, where he ran into captain sobel, who was ferrying baggage back to membury. sobel told strohl that the company was about to go into action; strohl said he wanted to join up and asked for a ride to the airdrome.
sobel warned him, "you're going to be awol." strohl responded that he did not think he would get into big trouble by choosing to go into combat with his company, so sobel told him to hop in.
"it was a stupid thing to do," strohl said four decades later. "i was as weak as a pussy cat." but he wasn't going to let his buddies go into action without him. he got himself equipped and climbed into a c-47.
popeye wynn, who had been shot in the butt helping to destroy the battery at brecourt manor on june 6, had been operated on and was recuperating in a hospital in wales when he was told that if he was absent from his company for more than ninety days, when he was listed fit for combat, he would be assigned to a different outfit. wynn wanted none of that. he persuaded a sergeant who was in charge of releasing the patients to send him back to aldbourne with light-duty papers. he arrived on september 1, threw away the papers, and rejoined the 3rd platoon.
he was not fully recovered. during the flight to holland, he stood up in the back of the stick, as he was too sore to sit. but he was there, where he wanted to be, going into combat with his buddies in easy company.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:17:52 | 显示全部楼层
8 "hell's highway" *
holland
september 17'-october 1,1944
it was a beautiful end-of-summer day in northwest europe, with a bright blue sky and no wind. the allied airborne attack came as a surprise to the germans; there were no luftwaffe planes to contest the air armada. once over holland, there was some antiaircraft fire, which intensified five minutes from the dz, but there was no breaking of formation or evasive action by the pilots as there had been over normandy.
easy came down exactly where it was supposed to be. so did virtually all the companies in the division. the landing was soft, on freshly plowed fields, in the memory of the men of easy the softest they ever experienced. webster wrote his parents, "it was the most perfectly flat jump field i've ever seen. basically, holland is just a big, glorified jump field." the official history of the 101st declared that this was "the most successful landing that the division had ever had, in either training or combat."1
1. rapport and northwood, rendezvous with destiny, 269.

the only problem winters could recall was the need to get off the dz as soon as possible to avoid getting hit by falling equipment and landing gliders. "it was just raining equipment," he said: "helmets, guns, bundles." malarkey remembered running off the field to the assembly area (marked by smoke grenades). he heard a crash overhead; two gliders had collided and came plummeting to earth. there was no german opposition on the ground; the company assembled quickly and set off toward its objective.
the objective was the bridge over the wilhelmina canal at son. the route was over a north-south road that ran from eindhoven to veghel to nijmegen to arnhem. the road was part asphalt, part brick, wide enough for two automobiles to pass each other but a tight squeeze for two trucks. like most roads in holland, it was a meter or so above the surrounding fields, meaning that anything moving on it stood out against the horizon.
the road was the key to operation market-garden. the task for the american airborne troops was to take control of the road and its many bridges to open a path for the british xxx corps, with the guards armored division in the van, to drive through to arnhem and thus over the lower rhine river.
easy landed about 30 kilometers behind the front line, some 15 kilometers north of eindhoven. the 506th's initial objective was son, then eindhoven, which meant the initial march was south. the regiment moved out with 1st battalion going through the field to the west of the road, 2nd battalion down the road, 3rd battalion in reserve. second battalion order of march was d company leading, then e company, battalion hq, and f company following.
the column entered son. the residents were drawn up on each side of the road, as for a parade. unlike normandy, where the french villagers mainly stayed out of sight, the dutch were ecstatic to be liberated. the parish priest, hussen of son, handed out cigars. orange flags, forbidden by the german occupiers, flew from the windows. people gave the passing paratroopers apples and other fruit. bartenders opened their taps and handed out glasses of beer. officers had a hard time keeping the men moving.
emerging from son, less than a kilometer from the bridge, the column was fired on by a german 88 and by a machine-gun, both shooting straight down the road. there were no casualties. d company covered the right side of the road, e company the left. they pushed forward, firing rifles and lobbing mortar shells, which silenced the opposition. but the germans had done their job, delaying the advance long enough to complete their preparations for blowing the bridge.
when the lead american elements were 25 meters or less from the bridge, it blew in their faces. there was a hail of debris of wood and stone. winters, with nixon beside him, hit the ground, big pieces of timber and large rocks raining down around him. winters thought to himself, what a hell of a way to die in combat!
colonel sink ordered 2nd battalion to lay down a covering fire while 1st battalion looked for a way to get over the canal. cpl. gordon carson of easy spotted a couple of waterlogged row-boats on the far side and decided on immediate action. he stripped stark naked, made a perfect racing dive into the water, swam across, and fetched a boat that carried some men from the first squad about halfway over the canal before it sank. other men from 1st battalion, more practical, took the doors off a nearby barn and with the help of sergeant lipton and several e company men laid them across the bridge pilings. the german rear guard, its mission accomplished, withdrew. engineers attached to the regiment improved the footbridge over the canal, but it was so weak that it could bear only a few men at a time. it took the battalion hours to get across.
it was getting dark. sink got word that the guards armored division had been held up by 88s a few kilometers south of eindhoven, and he did not know the state of german defenses in the city. he ordered a halt for the night.
the platoon leaders posted outposts. those not on duty slept in haystacks, woodsheds, whatever they could find. privates hoobler and webster of sergeant rader's 2nd squad, 1st platoon, found a farmhouse. the dutch farmer welcomed them. he led them through the barn, already occupied with regimental headquarters company ("you shoot 'em, we loot 'em" was its motto), who resented their presence. on to the kitchen, where the dutchman gave them half a dozen mason jars filled with preserved meat, peaches, and cherries. hoobler gave him some cigarettes, and webster handed him a d-ration chocolate bar. he sucked in the smoke greedily—the first decent cigarette he had enjoyed in five years—but saved the candy for his little boy, who had never tasted chocolate. webster decided on the spot that he liked the dutch much better than the british or french.
in the morning the march resumed, with 2nd battalion following 1st battalion on the road south. on the edge of eindhoven, a city of 100,000 that rose abruptly from the rich black soil, colonel sink spread his regiment, sending 2nd battalion out to the left, with easy on the far left flank. winters gave the order over his radio: "lieutenant brewer, put your scouts out and take off." brewer spread 1st platoon out in textbook formation, scouts to the front, no bunching up, moving fast. the platoon advanced through truck gardens and freshly plowed fields toward the houses on the edge of the city.
there was only one thing wrong. brewer was in front, with his map case at his side, his binoculars hanging around his neck, obviously an officer. worse, he was well over 6 feet tall. gordon thought he looked like a field marshal on parade. he was a perfect target.
winters shouted over his radio, "get back. drop back. drop back!" but brewer could not hear him. he kept moving ahead. every man in the company, every man in battalion, could see what was sure to happen.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:18:36 | 显示全部楼层
a shot rang out. a sniper had fired from one of the houses. brewer went down "like a tree felled by an expert lumberman." he had been shot in the throat just below the jaw line. gordon and a couple of other enlisted men ran over to him, even though their orders were to keep moving and leave any wounded for the medics. they looked down at brewer, bleeding profusely from his wound.
"aw, hell, forget him," someone said. "he's gone, he's gonna die." they moved on, leaving brewer lying there.
he heard it all, and never forgot it, and never let the men forget it when he recovered and rejoined the company.
after that there was only light, scattered resistance, mainly from snipers. the 506th got into eindhoven without further difficulty. the dutch were out to welcome them. many spoke english.
"so nice to see you!" they called out. "glad you have come!" "we have waited so long!" they brought out chairs, hot tea, fresh milk, apples, pears, peaches. orange flags and orange armbands hidden for years blossomed on all the houses and shirtsleeves. the applause was nearly deafening; the men had to shout to each other to be heard. "it was the most sincere thanksgiving demonstration any of us were to see," webster wrote, "and it pleased us very much." it took most of the rest of the day to push through the crowds to secure the bridges over the dommel river. it did not matter,- the british tankers did not show up until late that afternoon. they promptly stopped, set up housekeeping, and proceeded to make tea.
winters set up outposts. those not on duty joined the celebration. they posed for pictures, signed autographs (some signing "monty," others "eisenhower"), drank a shot or two of cognac, ate marvelous meals of fresh vegetables, roast veal, applesauce, and milk. the civilians continued to mob them as if they were movie stars. winters still shakes his head at the memory: "it was just unbelievable."
the company spent the night in hastily dug foxholes in tongelre, a suburb on the east side of eindhoven. on the morning of september 19, winters got orders to march east, to helmond, in order to broaden the eindhoven section of the corridor and to make contact with the enemy. a squadron of cromwell tanks from the hussars accompanied easy. some of the men rode on the backs of the cromwells. the tanks, webster wrote, "barked, spluttered, clanked, and squeaked in their accustomed manner as we set out."
winters led a forced march to nuenen, about 5 kilometers, encountering no opposition but once again cheering dutch, offering food and drink. webster remarked that this was the village in which vincent van gogh had been born. "who the hell's that?" rader asked.
beyond nuenen, the picnic ended. the germans had recovered from their surprise and were beginning to mount counterattacks. "kraut tanks! kraut tanks!" webster heard pvt. jack matthews call out.
oh, jesus christ! webster thought to himself, as he and the others jumped off the cromwells to dive into a ditch. less than 400 meters away the first in a column of german tanks "slithered through the bushes like an evil beast."
the 107th panzerbrigade, stationed in helmond, was attacking west, toward nuenen, with some fifty tanks—"more than we had ever seen at one time," winters recalled. sergeant martin saw a german tank almost hidden in a fence row about 100 meters away. a british tank was coming up. martin ran back to it, climbed aboard, and told the commander there was an enemy tank just below and to the right. the tank continued to move forward. martin cautioned the commander that if he continued his forward movement the german tank would soon see him.
"i caunt see him, old boy," the commander replied, "and if i caunt see him, i caunt very well shoot at him."
"you'll see him damn soon," martin shouted as he jumped down and moved away.
the german tank fired. the shell penetrated the british tank's armor. flame erupted. the crew came flying out of the hatch. the gunner pulled himself out last; he had lost his legs. the tank, now a flaming inferno, continued to move forward on its own, forcing bull randleman to move in the direction of the enemy to avoid it. a second british tank came forward. it too got blasted. altogether four of the british tanks were knocked out by the german 88s. the two remaining tanks turned around and began to move back into nuenen. easy company fell back with them.
sergeant rogers had been hit. he was bleeding badly. "they kinda pinked you a little, didn't they, paul," lipton said. "rogers let out a string of profanity that lasted a full minute," lipton remembered. "most unusual for him."
lt. buck compton got hit in the buttocks. medic eugene roe went to compton's aid. malarkey, pvt. ed heffron, and a couple of others came forward to help.
as heffron reached to help, compton looked up and moaned, "she always said my big ass would get in the way."
he looked at the five men gathered around him. "take off," compton ordered. "let the germans take care of me."
he was such a big man, and the fire was so intense, that the troopers were tempted to do just that. but malarkey, guarnere, and joe toye pulled a door off a farm outbuilding and laid compton face down on it. then they skidded him up the roadside ditch to one of the retreating british tanks and loaded him, face down, onto the back end.
the bullet that hit compton had gone into the right cheek of his buttocks, out, into the left cheek, and out. lipton looked at him and couldn't help laughing. "you're the only guy i ever saw in my life that got hit with one bullet and got four holes," he told compton.
compton growled, "if i could get off this tank, i'd kill you."
other men joined compton on the backs of the withdrawing tanks. strohl and gordon, who had been out on the flank, strohl with a mortar and gordon with his machine-gun, had to run across an open field to rejoin the outfit. the weight of their weapons slowed them down. bullets were kicking up the dirt at their feet. there was a 3-foot-high wooden fence between them and the road. "we hurdled it like two horses," strohl said. safely on the other side, they paused to catch their breath.
"that's one thing you and i will never do again," strohl said.
"i don't think we did it the first time," gordon replied.
they took off again for the tanks, caught up, and gordon pulled himself onto the back of one. but strohl was dead beat. he put his hand up; gordon grabbed it as strohl passed out. gordon hauled him aboard and got him secured.
randleman, who had been in the van, got hit in the shoulder and cut off from his squad. he ducked into a barn. a german soldier came running in behind him. randleman bayoneted the man, killed him, and covered his with hay. then he covered himself up with hay and hid out.
once in town, men found shelter in buildings that they used as cover to move around and set up some semblance of a return fire. easy managed to hold up the germans but was unable to force them back. sgt. chuck grant got hit, among many others. pvt. robert van klinken was killed by a machine-gun burst when he tried to run forward with a bazooka. pvt. james miller, a nineteen-year-old replacement, was killed when a hand grenade went off on his kidneys.
pvt. ray cobb had the shakes. webster heard sergeant martin comforting him "the way a mother talks to a dream-frightened child: 'that's all right, cobb, don't worry, we're not going back out there. just relax, cobb, take it easy.' "
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:19:06 | 显示全部楼层
martin went over to a cromwell, hiding behind a building. he pointed out the church steeple and asked the commander to take it out, as the germans were using it as an observation post.
"so sorry, old man, we can't do it," the commander replied. "we have orders not to destroy too much property. friendly country, you know."
the germans kept pressing. their aim was to get through to the highway leading from eindhoven to nijmegen—"hell's highway," as the 101st named it—and cut it. but they could not get through nuenen.
winters had decided to withdraw under the cover of darkness, but before giving ground he wanted a prisoner for interrogation. he called for volunteers for a patrol. no one volunteered. "sergeant toye," he called out. "yes, sir, i'm here." "i need two volunteers."
toye selected cpl. james campbell and a private and set out. they were tripping over british and american bodies as they made their way to a nearby wood. a german soldier fired at them. toye told his men to stay put. he crept into the woods, went around the german, got behind him, and gently placed his bayonet against the man's back. the soldier gave toye no trouble. pushing the german ahead of him, toye returned through the woods and delivered his prisoner.
the company retreated to tongelre. winters noticed that the dutch people who had been cheering them in the morning, were closing their shutters, taking down the orange flags, looking sad and depressed, expecting the germans to reoccupy eindhoven. "we too were feeling badly," winters remarked. "we were limping back to town."
after getting his men settled down and fed, winters went to battalion hq. he found lieutenant colonel strayer and his staff laughing it up, eating a hearty supper, in a jovial mood. strayer saw winters, turned, and with a big smile asked, "how did it go today, winters?"
tight-lipped, winters replied, "i had fifteen casualties today and took a hell of a licking." the conversation in the room came to an abrupt stop.
easy got one break that day. the company bedded down in tongelre, so it watched, rather than endured, a seventy-plane luftwaffe bombing mission against the british supply column in eindhoven. as the allies had no antiaircraft guns in the city, the germans were able to drop bright yellow marker flares and then make run after run, dropping their bombs. the city was severely damaged. over 800 inhabitants were wounded, 227 killed.
the next morning, strayer moved his other two companies into nuenen. they found sergeant randleman holding the fort.
the german tanks had moved out, to the northwest, toward son. company e set up close-in defenses around eindhoven and stayed there two days.
on the morning of september 11, winters got orders to mount his men on trucks. the 506th was moving to uden, on hell's highway, to defend the town against a panzer attack that the dutch underground warned was coming from helmond. regimental hq company, with lt. col. charles chase (the 506th regimental x.o.) in command, accompanied easy and three british tanks in an advance party. there were only enough trucks for the 100 or so men of hq company plus a platoon of easy. winters, lieutenant welsh, and captain nixon joined the convoy.
the trucks got through veghel and into uden without encountering resistance. winters and nixon climbed to the top of the church steeple to have a look. when they got to the belfry, the first thing they saw was german tanks cutting the highway between veghel and uden. then winters spotted a patrol coming toward uden. he ran down the stairs, gathered the platoon, and said, "men, there's nothing to get excited about. the situation is normal; we are surrounded." he organized an attack, moved out to meet the german patrol, and hit it hard, driving it back. colonel chase told winters to set up a defense. easy, with help from hq company, set up roadblocks on all roads leading into uden.
winters told sergeant lipton to take every man he could find, regardless of unit, and put him into the line. lipton saw two british soldiers walking by. he grabbed one by the shoulder and ordered, "you two come with me."
the man looked lipton up and down calmly and said, "sergeant, is that the way you address officers in the american army?" lipton took a closer look and saw that on his british combat uniform was the insignia of a major. "no, sir," he stammered. "i'm sorry." the major gave him a bit of a half-smile as he walked away.
the germans did not come on. had they realized that there were fewer than 130 men in uden and only three tanks, they surely would have overrun the town, but evidently winters' quick counterattack against their lead patrol convinced them that uden was held in strength. whatever the reason, they shifted the focus of their attack from uden to veghel.
winters and nixon climbed to the belfry again. they had a clear view to veghel, 6 kilometers south. "it was fascinating," winters recalled, "sitting behind the german lines, watching tanks approach veghel, german air force strafing, a terrific exchange of firepower." the members of easy who were in veghel remember it as pure hell, the most intense shelling they had ever experienced.
it was a desperate battle, the biggest the 506th had yet experienced. it was also critical. "the enemy's cutting the road did not mean simply his walking across a piece of asphalt," the history of the division points out. "that road was loaded with british transport vehicles of every type. cutting the road meant fire and destruction for the vehicles that were caught. it meant clogging the road for its entire length with vehicles that suddenly had nowhere to go. for the men at nijmegen and arnhem, cutting the road was like severing an artery. the stuff of life—food, ammunition, medical supplies, no longer came north."2
2. rapport and northwood, rendezvous with destiny, 359.

webster was in veghel. when the german artillery began to come in, he took shelter in a cellar with a half-dozen easy men, plus some dutch civilians. "it was a very depressing atmosphere," he wrote, "listening to the civilians moan, shriek, sing hymns, and say their prayers."
pvt. don hoobler was with the 3rd squad, 1st platoon, hiding in a gateway. he decided to have some fun with pvt. farris rice, so he whistled a perfect imitation of an incoming shell. rice fell flat on his face. that put hoobler in stitches: "ha! ha! ha! ha! boy, sure sucked you in on that one!"
"goddamn you, hoobler, that's bad on a guy."
bzzyoo . . . bam! a real shell came in. hoobler stopped laughing.
colonel sink came roaring up in a jeep, jumped out, and began barking orders right and left. he got the men of easy, and those of d and f companies, to establish a perimeter defense with orders to shoot at anything moving.
webster and the others climbed out of the cellar and went into an orchard. webster and pvt. don wiseman frantically dug a foxhole, 2 feet wide, 6 feet long, 4 feet deep. they wanted to go deeper but water was already seeping in.
sitting helplessly under intense artillery fire is pure hell, combat at its absolute worst. the shells were coming in by threes.
"wiseman and i sat in our corners and cursed. every time we heard a shell come over, we closed our eyes and put our heads between our legs. every time the shells went off, we looked up and grinned at each other.
"i felt sick inside. i said i'd give a foot to get out of that place. we smelled the gunpowder as a rancid thunderhead enveloped our hole. a nasty, inch-square chunk of hot steel landed in wiseman's lap. he smiled.
"three more. and then three, and then three. no wonder men got combat exhaustion." webster later wrote his parents, "artillery takes the joy out of life."
things quieted down sufficiently for the supply people to bring up some british rations. webster shouted at hoobler to throw him a can. hoobler was sitting above ground, laughing and joking, having a picnic with four or five others. "come and get it," he called back. "the 88s are taking a break."
an 88 came in. hoobler leaped into his hole, with his buddies piling in on top of him.
the men spent the night in their foxholes. there was a drizzle, the air was frosty. they sat with their heads on their knees, pulled their raincoats around their shoulders, and nodded off the best they could.
back in uden, winters and nixon lost their front-row seat. a german sniper spotted them and fired away. he hit the bell in the belfry. the ringing noise and the surprise sent the two officers flying down the steps. "i don't think our feet touched the steps more than two or three times," winters declared.
he set up his cp at a store on the road junction on the south end of town. the owners, the van oer family, who lived there, welcomed them, then went down to the cellar. winters had his men move the furniture and rugs to one side, then brought in the machine-guns, ammunition, molotov cocktails, and explosives and prepared to defend against any attack. his plan was, if the germans came on with tanks, to drop composition c charges and molotov cocktails on the tanks from the second floor windows—the russian style of tank defense.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-11-19 06:19:38 | 显示全部楼层
with that position set, winters went to the other end of town, the northwest corner. on the left side of the road coming into town there was a manor house, with a tavern on the other side. winters told welsh to put the roadblock between the two buildings, backed up by one of the british tanks. he indicated he wanted welsh to set up his cp in the manor.
winters checked his other roadblocks, then at 2200 he returned to the northwest corner for one last look around. the british tank was where it was supposed to be, but there was no one in it or around it. nor were there any e company men at the roadblock. highly agitated, winters ran over to the manor and knocked on the door. a maid answered. she spoke no english, he spoke no dutch, but somehow she figured out that he wanted to see "the soldiers." she escorted him down a hallway and opened the door to a large, lavishly furnished living room.
"the sight that greeted my eyes left me speechless," winters recalled. "sitting on the floor, in front of a large, blazing fire in a fireplace, was a beautiful dutch girl, sharing a dinner of ham and eggs with a british lieutenant." she smiled at winters. the lieutenant turned his head and asked, "is my tank still outside?" winters exploded. the lieutenant got moving.
winters went back to the street to look for welsh and his men. "where the hell can harry be?" he looked at the tavern across the street and his question answered itself. he went in and found welsh and his men sacked out on the top of the bar.
"harry and i talked this whole situation over," was the polite way winters put it. "satisfied that we would have a roadblock set up to my satisfaction, and that i could get a good night's sleep and not worry about a breakthrough, i left."
in veghel, the germans continued to attack through the night and into the next morning. british planes and tanks finally drove them off. the 506th moved out again, getting to uden on the afternoon of september 24. the easy company men who had been trapped in veghel assumed that the small force isolated in uden had been annihilated; those in uden likewise assumed that the rest of the company in veghel had been annihilated. when the two parts reunited and learned that the entire company had survived the encounter in good shape, there was mutual elation.
the company prepared to spend the night in uden. the men who had been there were amazed when the men who had undergone the shelling in veghel dug foxholes 4 feet deep; they had only dug 6 inches or so into the ground and let it go at that. the officers had billets in houses in uden. lieutenant peacock of 1st platoon approached webster's foxhole and told him to come along. webster climbed out, and they walked to peacock's billet above a liquor store on the village square.
"take that broom and sweep this room out," peacock ordered.
"yes, sir," webster replied, thinking to himself, what kind of a man is this? he decided, "i would rather starve to death as a bum in civilian life than be a private in the army."
the germans had lost uden and veghel, but they hardly had given up. on the evening of september 24, they attacked hell's highway from the west, south of veghel, and managed to drive a salient across it. once again the road was cut.
it had to be reopened. although the strategic objective of market-garden had been lost by now (on september 20 the germans had retaken the bridge at arnhem from col. john frost's battalion of the british 1st airborne division, and the division as a whole had been thrown on the defensive and the guards armored division had been halted on september 22 some 5 kilometers south of arnhem), it was still critical to keep the road open. tens of thousands of allied troops were dependent on it totally for their supplies. the units north of veghel included the u.s. 101st at uden and the 82nd at nijmegen, the british 1st airborne north of the lower rhine, outside arnhem, the guards armored and the 43rd wessex divisions, the polish parachute regiment, and the british 4th dorset and 2nd household cavalry regiments, all between nijmegen and arnhem. if the 101st could not regain control of the road and keep it open, what was already a major defeat would turn into an unmitigated disaster of catastrophic proportions.
general taylor ordered colonel sink to eliminate the german salient south of veghel. at 0030, september 25, sink ordered his battalions to prepare to move out. at 0445 the 506th began marching, in a heavy rain, south from uden toward veghel. the order of march was 1st battalion on the right, 3rd battalion on the left, 2nd battalion in reserve. at about 0700 the weary men passed through veghel. at 0830 the 1st and 3rd battalions began the attack on the salient. initially the advance went well, but soon the german artillery and mortar fire thickened. german tanks, brand-new tiger royals with 88 mm guns, dug in along the road, added their own machine-gun and shell fire. they were supported by colonel von der heydte's 6th parachute regiment, easy's old nemesis at ste. marie-du-mont and carentan. the concentration on the narrow front was murderous. about noon, the battalions were forced to halt and dig in.
sink ordered lieutenant colonel strayer to have 2nd battalion make an end run, a flanking move to the left. it would be supported by british sherman tanks. there was a wood of young pine trees along the left (east) side of the highway to provide a screen for the flanking movement. company e led the way for the battalion.
company e's first attack in holland had been to the south, toward son and then eindhoven. the second had been to the east, toward nuenen. the third had been to the north, into uden. now it would be attacking to the west, thus completing the points of the compass. that is the way surrounded troops fight. that was the way the airborne had been trained to fight.
nixon joined winters to scout the terrain. they found a pathway on the edge of the woods that was solid and firm, providing traction for the tanks. good enough so far, but the woods ran out 350 meters from the highway, giving way to open ground that provided no cover whatsoever for the final assault.
winters put the company into formation: scouts out, two columns of men, spread out, no bunching up. they got halfway across the field when the germans opened up with machine-gun fire. everyone hit the ground.
guarnere and malarkey got their 60 mm mortar into action. guarnere called out range and direction; malarkey worked the mortar. he was the only man in the field at that point who was not flat on his stomach. his first round knocked out a german machine-gun post.
winters was shouting orders. he wanted machine-guns to go to work. the crews found a slight depression in the ground and set up the gun. they began to lay down a base of fire. winters spotted a tiger royal dug in hull-defilade on the other side of the road and told the machine-gunners to take it under fire.
turning to his right, winters noticed nixon examining his helmet, a big smile on his face. a german machine-gun bullet from the first burst had gone through the front of his helmet and exited out the side at such an angle that the bullet simply left a burn mark on his forehead. it did not even break the skin.
the german fire was too intense; winters decided to pull the company back to the woods. the process would be to maintain the base of fire from the machine-guns while the riflemen backed off the field; when the riflemen reached the woods, they would begin firing to permit the machine-gunners to pull back.
when lipton reached winters, on the edge of the woods, winters told him, "they [the machine-gunners] will need more ammo. get some out there to them." lipton ran to a sherman tank (all the tanks were behind the woods, out of sight from the germans—much to the disgust of the men of easy). shermans used 30-caliber machine-guns, the same as easy company's machine-guns. lipton got four boxes of ammunition from the british. he gave two to sergeant talbert and took two himself. they ran out to the machine-guns in the middle of the field, which were firing continuously, dropped the boxes, circled around, and ran back to the edge of the field as fast as they could run. "the germans were poor shots," lipton remembered. "we both made it."
just as the german parachute troops began to drop mortars on the machine-gun positions, easy's riflemen went to work and the machine-gunners were able to withdraw.
winters ran back to the tanks. he climbed on the lead tank "to talk nose to nose with the commander." he pointed out that there was a tiger royal dug in on the far side of the road. "if you pull up behind the bank on the edge of the woods, you will be hull-defilade, and you can get a shot at him." as winters climbed down, that tank and the one to its left cranked up and began plowing straight through that stand of small pine trees, knocking them down.
as the first tank got to the far edge of the woods, it wheeled left to line up for a shot at the tiger. wham! the tiger laid an 88 into it. the shot hit the cannon barrel and glanced off the hull. evidently the german commander had fired blind, lining up on the falling tops of the trees.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注-册-帐-号

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|数学建模网 ( 湘ICP备11011602号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 17:15 , Processed in 0.058575 second(s), 12 queries .