找回密码
 注-册-帐-号
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 24513|回复: 24

[分享]Chicken Soup美文阅读

[复制链接]
发表于 2003-9-8 21:41:59 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
写在最前面:如果版主不反对,偶将陆续贴上一些Chicken Soup中的文章。虽然其中观点不一定都正确,但多是情真意切,质朴的文句中蕴含着凡人对生活的思考,例如:
  If you are thinking one year ahead, you plant rice. If you are thinking twenty years ahead, you plant trees.  If you are thinking a hundred years ahead, you  educate people.
  是不是与“十年树木,百年树人”有异曲同工之妙呢?

Here comes the essays

[此贴子已经被作者于2003-9-9 20:48:33编辑过]

楼主| 发表于 2003-9-8 21:54:55 | 显示全部楼层
CS1
写在前面:珍惜生命,珍惜朋友,美丽的风景还在后面

A Woman and a Fork
    --- the best is yet to come

There was a young woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and had been given three months to live. So as she was getting her things "in order," she  contacted her Rabbi(法师)and had him come to her house to discuss certain aspects of her final wishes.

She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service, what scriptures (经文)she would like read, and what outfit(用具)she wanted to be buried in.

Everything was in order and the Rabbi was preparing to leave when the young woman suddenly remembered something very important to her.

"There's one more thing," she said excitedly.

"What' that?" came the Rabbi's reply.

"This is very important," the young woman continued. "I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand."

The Rabbi stood looking at the young woman, not knowing quite what to say.

That surprises you, doesn't it?" the young woman asked. "Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the request," said the Rabbi.

The young woman explained. "My grandmother once told me this story, and from there on out, I have always done so. I have also, always tried to pass along its message to those I love and those who are in need of encouragement.

In all my years of attending socials and dinners, I always remember that when the  dishes of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, 'Keep your fork.' It was my favorite part because I knew that something better was coming...like velvety (象天鹅绒的, 柔软的)chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie.  Something wonderful, and with substance!'

So, I just want people to see me there in that casket (棺材)with a fork in my hand and I want them to wonder "What's with the fork?" Then I want you to tell them: "Keep your fork ..the best is yet to come."

The Rabbi's eyes welled up with tears of joy as he hugged the young woman good-bye. He knew this would be one of the last times he would see her before her death. But he also knew that the young woman had a better grasp of heaven than he did. She had a better grasp of what heaven would be like than many people twice her age, with twice  as much experience and knowledge.

She KNEW that something better was coming.

At the funeral people were walking by the young woman's casket and they saw the cloak (斗篷,宽大外衣)she was wearing and the fork placed in her right hand. Over and over, the Rabbi heard the question "What's with the fork?" And over and over he  smiled.

During his message, the Rabbi told the people of the conversation he had with the young woman shortly before she died. He also told them about the fork and about what it symbolized to her. The pastor (牧师)told the people how he could not stop thinking about the fork and told them that they probably would not be able to stop thinking  about it either.

He was right. So the next time you reach down for your fork, let it remind you ever so gently, that the best is yet to come. Friends are a very rare jewel, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share a word of praise, and they always want to open their hearts to us. Show your friends how much you care. Remember to always be there for them, even when you need them more. For you never know when it may be their time to "Keep your fork."

Cherish the time you have, and the memories you share... being friends with someone is not an opportunity but a sweet responsibility.

" If you are thinking one year ahead, you plant rice. If you are thinking twenty years ahead, you plant trees.  If you are thinking a hundred years ahead, you  educate people.

[此贴子已经被作者于2003-9-9 20:47:00编辑过]

发表于 2003-9-9 07:52:57 | 显示全部楼层
欢迎连载!!!
到时候做个精华帖收藏^_^!
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-10 04:45:33 | 显示全部楼层
CS2
写在前面:一个妇人普通的一天;风铃那一段给我留下了很深的印象

Be Still With God
By Nancy B. Gibbs

All day long I had been very busy; picking up trash, cleaning bathrooms and scrubbing floors. My grown children were coming home for the weekend. I went grocery shopping and prepared for a barbecue supper, complete with ribs and chicken. I wanted everything to be perfect.

Suddenly, it dawned on me that I was dog-tired. I simply couldn't work as long as I could when I was younger. "I've got to rest for a minute," I told my husband, Roy, as I collapsed into my favorite rocking chair. Music was playing, my dog and cat were chasing each other and the telephone rang.

A scripture from Psalm 46 popped into my mind. "Be still, and know that I am God." I realized that I hadn't spent much time in prayer that day. Was I too busy to even utter a simple word of thanks to God? Suddenly, the thought of my beautiful patio came to mind. I can be quiet out there, I thought. I longed for a few minutes alone with God.

Roy and I had invested a great deal of time and work in the patio that spring. The flowers and hanging baskets were breathtaking. It was definitely a heavenly place of rest and tranquility. If I can't be still with God in that environment, I can't be still with Him anywhere, I thought. While Roy was talking on the telephone, I slipped out the backdoor and sat down on my favorite patio chair. I closed my eyes and began to pray, counting my many blessings.

A bird flew by me, chirping and singing. It interrupted my thoughts. It landed on the bird feeder and began eating dinner as I watched. After a few minutes it flew away, singing another song.

I closed my eyes again. A gust of wind blew, which caused my wind chimes to dance. They made a joyful sound, but again I lost my concentration on God. I squirmed and wiggled in my chair. I looked up toward the blue sky and saw the clouds moving slowly toward the horizon. The wind died down. My wind chimes finally became quiet.

Again, I bowed in prayer. "Honk, honk," I heard. I almost jumped out of my skin. A neighbor was driving down the street. He waved at me and smiled. I waved back, happy that he cared. I quickly tried once again to settle down, repeating the familiar verse in my mind. Be still and know that I am God.

"I'm trying God. I really am," I whispered. "But you've got to help me here."

The backdoor opened. My husband walked outside. "I love you," he said. "I was wondering where you were." I chuckled, as he came over and kissed me, then turned around and went back inside.

"Where's the quiet time?" I asked God. My heart fluttered. There was no pain, only a beat that interrupted me yet again. This is impossible, I thought. There's no time to be still and to know that God is with me. There's too much going on in the world and entirely too much activity all around me.

Then it suddenly dawned on me. God was speaking to me the entire time I was attempting to be still. I remembered the music playing as I'd begun my quiet time. He sent a sparrow to lighten my life with song. He sent a gentle breeze. He sent a neighbor to let me know that I had a friend. He sent my sweetheart to offer sincere sentiments of love. He caused my heart to flutter to remind me of life. While I was trying to count my blessings, God was busy multiplying them.

I laughed to realize that the "interruptions" of my quiet time with God were special blessings He'd sent to show me He was with me the entire time.

发表于 2003-9-10 05:57:10 | 显示全部楼层
go on~~~~!!
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-11 04:58:55 | 显示全部楼层
CS3
写在前面:很简单的一个故事,但绝对值得一看

FAMILY

FAMILY= (F)ATHER (A)ND (M)OTHER, (I) (L)OVE (Y)OU

A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his 5-year old son waiting for him at the door.

"Daddy, may I ask you a question?"

"Yeah sure, what is it?" replied the man.

"Daddy, how much do you make an hour?"

"That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?" the man said angrily. "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?"
pleaded the little boy.

"If you must know, I make $20 an hour."

"Oh," the little boy replied, with his head down. Looking up, he said, "Daddy, may I please borrow $10?"

The father was furious, "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I work hard everyday for such this childish behavior."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door. The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money? After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think: Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $10 and he really didn't ask for money very often.

The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

"Are you asleep, son?" He asked.

"No daddy, I'm awake," replied the boy.

"I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier," said the man, "It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $10 you asked for."

The little boy sat straight up, smiling. "Oh, thank you daddy!" He yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man, seeing that the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, then looked up at his father.

"Why do you want more money if you already have some?" the father grumbled.

"Because I didn't have enough, but now I do," the little boy replied. "Daddy, I have $20 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."
发表于 2003-9-12 08:39:39 | 显示全部楼层
my god! the father is too careless to  understand the little boy.
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-12 15:11:20 | 显示全部楼层
well, things are not always what they seem~~

afterall, he is a good father, right?
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-12 15:24:55 | 显示全部楼层
CS4
  写在前面:经常让中国人汗颜的老故事中的一个:在并非重要的场合中,利益或诚实,你选择哪一个?
  btw."Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying."偶看了好几遍才看明白

What You Are Is As ImportantAs What You Do
Patricia Fripp

Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying.
           ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon in Oklahoma City. My friend and proud father Bobby Lewis was taking his two little boys to play miniature golf. He walked up to the fellow at the ticket counter and said, "How much is it to get in?"

The young man replied, "$3.00 for you and $3.00 for any kid who is older than six. We let them in free if they are six or younger. How old are they?"

Bobby replied, "The lawyer's three and the doctor is seven, so I guess I owe you $6.00."

The man at the ticket counter said, "Hey, Mister, did you just win the lottery or something? You could have saved yourself three bucks. You could have told me that the older one was six; I wouldn't have known the difference." Bobby replied, "Yes, that may be true, but the kids would have known the difference."

As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying." In challenging times when ethics are more important than ever before, make sure you set a good example for everyone you work and live with.

发表于 2003-9-14 04:17:19 | 显示全部楼层
Too long ! It will spent me much time and money if I read that all! What a pity!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注-册-帐-号

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|数学建模网 ( 湘ICP备11011602号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 15:52 , Processed in 0.057024 second(s), 18 queries .